If you’re trying to make money from your blog or website, the single most important thing you can do is build your list. Building your list isn’t an optional thing if you’re serious about making money on the Internet.
The reason this is important is because of future marketing.
When you have a new product or offer available, you can send an email to your list. Because your list has “opted in” and knows who you are, they are more likely to purchase something based on your recommendations.
If you invite people to your blog or website, you need to find a way to capture their information. The most pertinent information to capture is the person’s first name and email address.
There are a few ways to capture a person’s information:
Giveaway a free eBook or report.
It’s a pretty simple give and take relationship. If a visitor wants your free eBook or report, they simply have to provide you with their first name and a valid email address. This is a great way to expand your names list.
I know what your next question is‚ “How do I get a free eBook or report to giveaway?” Don’t worry. It’s easier than it sounds. Here are the three most common methods:
- Make your own eBook or report. This is the most time consuming method. But, it’s also the most effective way for you to build credibility and trust in your website.It’s okay to start with one of the other methods until you’re ready to create your own. But, as always, your ultimate goal should be to offer your own, unique content.
- Leverage one of your affiliate programs. There are several companies that already have a free eBook or report you can give away as an affiliate.Although this is not as effective as writing your own content, it still provides the visitor with valuable free information‚ which you recommended.
- Buy a license for an already existing report, put your name on it and present it as your own. Yes, this is perfectly legal to do because you are buying the rights to the report (I never advocate plagiarism).
Have a free series of reports your visitor can subscribe to receive over time.
This option has the potential to be even more powerful than a single free report in building a strong relationship with your readers.
Keeping yourself in front of your prospects is key. When you offer a series of free reports (or a newsletter) through a drip email campaign, you get repeat exposure.
The more times you are in front of the potential client, the more opportunity you have to build brand awareness, credibility and trust‚ and the more potential there is that they will buy from you or monetize in some way.
In a drip email campaign, a series of emails go out at preselected intervals (you select the intervals) to your readers.
The reports need to be good quality information that is useful and relevant to your niche. They should also direct the prospect back to your blog for a compelling reason related to your niche.
These emails should:
- Contain valuable information
- Excite your readers about receiving and reading the material
- Make the reader eagerly anticipate the next issue
- Encourage the reader to return to your site
Let’s say you have a free series of 5 reports going out at an interval of once per week. The series is titled, “How to Encourage Independence in Your Toddler.”
Given you provide valuable content, people should be excited to get the next edition and hopefully return to your blog and take your most desired action (buy, click through, etc.).
I know what you’re thinking, managing 20-30 visitors who request the free report series would be a challenge, but what happens when there are hundreds or even thousands of people that request it?
Fortunately, there are services that can help you set up a drip email campaign without the manual headache. They provide easy-to-use, fully automated systems that make your life much easier.
The service that I use and recommend for small blogs and businesses is Mailchimp because it’s free for 2,000 subscribers (with limitations). They are one of the most reputable companies that can help you set up email marketing campaigns.
After setting up your content with an email marketing service, you can focus on other areas of your business with confidence that your visitors are receiving the quality information you created‚ with no additional labor from you.
If you have a larger list, you may want to look at a more intensive email marketing service like ConvertKit.
If you’re working on building a list for your blog, check it these services and get it set up on your website ASAP.